Thursday, October 25, 2007

Sports Day

No posts for ten years, and then three in two days. Just wanted to share some pictures from the conference and SPORTS DAY!..

Drama! The kid in the stripey sweater is (way cute) our school's best soccer player by far. Buuuut... he apparently got a little arrogant and gave the PE coach some attitude, saying he wouldn't play, so then the PE teacher pwned him and said: "Okay, don't." So he didn't get to play. And I was devastated! (So was he, secretly, I think.) I'm pretty sure we wouldn't have lost 2-1 if he'd been playing.

I borrowed (read: stole) a pair of my student's glasses to test my theory that I should get a pair of stylish glasses, even though my eyesight is fine. What do you think? I think they look nice.


This was way exciting. Tug-of-war! During Sports Day, our school competed against two other schools. We lost at soccer and I think Dodgeball, but we won this! The other kids were way bigger too! But we dominated! I think I may have promised them chocolate if they win. Who knew they'd actually do it?



Watching the semifinals soccer match.
Me, Meghan, and a scary guy with a little dragon.

Punishment #1: Warning.

#2: Self-explanatory. I think my picture does it justice. Except my water gun is a fish.

#3: Stand in the back of the classroom with your hands up. The student is saying "My arms hurt!"

#4: Streetfight. I really am that big.

#5: That says "Go to the gyomushil."

Me and Tony.

Kim is so cute! I miss her SO MUCH!

My posse. I mean, wait... :) Tim, my roommate/love of my life Amy in the middle, and my favorite Najuite besides Matt, Meghan. That's a really crappy heart you're making, guys. You can do better than that in front of the empress swan.

Me and Amy!

Just in case you can't read this... "Mr. Pizza knows how to please women because he understands them and knows what they want. Because he cares about women, Mr. Pizza strives to make a more delicious pizza. Now, fall in love with the taste of Mr. Pizza." ... Awkward.

So yeah. Tomorrow is our DMS School festival. I'm not sure exactly what that consists of, but it's taking place together with the same schools from Sports Day, at one of their music halls? And today half of the students left school halfway through to go prepare. All I was able to glean about tomorrow's festivities is that four of our boy students will be fully dressed as females, including hair and makeup. Excellent. Today was... interesting. Similar to last time my class was cancelled, only half of the students were actually busy, and the other half were sitting in the library or generally faffing about. I was in my room, so they came in, and then I let them watch some anime on the computer. What do I care? I had to go pay my phone bill in town, and I ran into some of my students who I suspect were cutting (or at least, not supposed to not be at school), because they hid when the teacher drove by. We weren't actually doing anything at school, so I can't imagine it's that big a deal. They bought some food at the mart and then went back to school. I suspect they are punks. :)

I just love the middle school mentality. I find that if I expect nothing from them, I will always be surprised. Like today I brought back Snickers from the store, and a herd of boys unsurprisingly took like 12 each, leaving a completely empty bag. At which point HB, the biggest third grader, got up out of his seat at the computer where he was busy and went over to berate them into all offering me one. (He was one of my bowling boys--the one who has always been really big, so when he was in elementary school, the bus drivers never believed him when he said he was and tried to make him pay middle school ticket price. Awww!)

More sad school news... A different bowling boy changed schools! Apparently he recently ran into some serious trouble with some high schoolers in Dongkang. And because Dongkang is a tiny town that consists of one bank, one store, and farms, it was serious and unavoidable. They were bullying him, so he went to live with an aunt a few hours away. Devastation. He's coming to visit this weekend though, apparently. Bowling!

Okay, gotta go meet Meghan.

1 comment:

Pete said...

16 pictures = 1,600 points Most excellent.
Good narrative as well. +50 additional points.
(See how much those pictures are worth? Keep 'em coming.)

BTW, Kim is cute. You are too but I'm not really feeling the glasses.